“Continuing the theme from a few weeks ago, this recipe for vegetable lasagna is so good that you will not miss the less-than-healthy stuff. Perfect for using all of the summer vegetables in your garden, this is go-to recipe I developed last year over the hot, hot months. It is also great for cleaning out all of the need-to-use-immediately produce in your fridge. Consider this the base recipe, and also consider throwing in extra vegetables, such as cauliflower and broccoli. This recipe serves four with leftovers.
Pair this dish with a Pinot Noir, or any other light red wine, as not to overpower the vegetables. ” – Andi
Editor’s Note: This recipe will be in the oven for two hours, not including food prep. Please keep this in mind when returning home from the bars drunk and feeling like Cat Cora.
- 1 Squash – sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 Zucchini – sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 Onion – diced
- 1 jar of Artichokes
- 1 handful of Kale
- 1 pound of Ground Chicken – thawed
- 1 cups of Quinoa – cooked
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 jar of organic pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. (Keep in mind that this recipe only calls for two cups of cooked quinoa.)
- Slice the zucchini and squash in 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium. When skillet is hot, add enough vegetable oil to coat pan.
- Cook the ground chicken and season with salt and pepper for five minutes, then add the diced onion. Cook for another five minutes.
- Add the handful of kale and jar of artichokes, as well as any other vegetables you would like to incorporate into the dish. Cook until the kale is wilted, or for about another five minutes. Set aside.
- Layer the squash at the bottom of a casserole dish and season with salt.
- Layer in half of the quinoa.
- Pour in half of the jar of sauce.
- Sprinkle a half cup of the ricotta and a half cup of the mozzarella cheeses.
- Layer in the zucchini.
- Repeat steps seven through eleven.
- Cover the lasagna and cook in 375 degrees for an hour. Remove cover and cook for another hour. The top of the lasagna should be a golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.