“This recipe is a must-master for both a quick snack at home and an impressive side dish you could bring to any backyard barbeque. This dish has taken us eight years, give or take, to get it to where we love it. Earlier renditions were good, the purest of guacamoles: avocado, lime, and cilantro. It was not until we lived in Carrboro, North Carolina and visited a local staple deli when we started adding other ingredients. Onions, garlic, jalapeño, and tomatoes were soon added to round out the flavors of the favorite. Some may say it is pico de gallo with avocado; I say enjoy it and pass the tortilla chips.
This recipe will serve four as an hors d’oeuvre or snack.
The MicroPlane has gone from obscure bar wear to a indispensable tool in any kitchen. There are multiple styles to fit any task and any hand. Perfect for zesting the lime for this recipe in particular!” – Joe
- 2 each Avocado – seed and skin removed, rough diced
- 1 each Lime – zested and juiced
- 0.5 each Red Onion – small diced
- 3 cloves Garlic – minced
- 3 tablespoon Cilantro – thinly sliced (half for the recipe half for garnish)
- 1 each Roma Tomato – core removed, small diced
- 1 each small Jalapeño – seeds removed and finely diced (note: If you enjoy your guacamole on the spicier side, leave more of the jalapeño seeds in when dicing.)
- 2 tablespoon Organic Olive Oil
- Place the avocado and lime juice in a bowl together.
- Using a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula, mash the two together, but leave some whole pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place in serving bowl and garnish with half the cilantro.