“The phrase ‘necessity is the mother of all invention’ never rang more true than thinking about weekday dinners. This dish was created from the necessity for a quick and healthy mid-week meal that would dirty minimal dishes and use what leftover produce we had in the fridge. Half a red onion here, some cilantro there, and miniature cucumbers, sure why not? Flank steak has the right balance of lean protein and flavor that makes it a great choice for this recipe, but if you prefer a different cut of steak then you can use that in its place. This recipe will make enough for three sandwiches: two for dinner and one for lunch the next day!” – Joe
- Marinated Veggies
- 0.5 each Red Onion – julienne
- 0.5 each Red Bell Pepper – julienne
- 1 each mini Organic Cucumber – julienne
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Organic Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- Flank Steak
- 1.5 pounds Flank Steak
- 1-2 tablespoon Salt
- 1-2 tablespoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Organic Olive Oil
- 3 each Whole Wheat Mini Baguette
- Combine all the veggies, vinegar, oil, and chili sauce in a bowl, season with a touch of salt and pepper and mix well, set aside. The longer the veggies sit in their marinade the better they will taste.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan, then carefully set the steak in the pan and cook for three minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes. (Add a minute per side for medium. Add two minutes per side for medium well.)
- Remove the steak for the pan and allow five minutes for it to cool, then slice into thin strips.
- Slice open the mini baguettes, place a generous amount of veggies on the bottom of the sandwich, then the steak.
- Finish with a touch of coarse sea salt on the steak.