“As a traditional southern girl, I will say my favorite homemade condiment of them all is a decadent remoulade. I will put remoulade on anything and everything.
This recipe originated from my old sous chef from California and friend of ten years, Ken Naron. He, being from Mississippi as well, makes the best remoulade around. It is so good that it is shocking that he has not sold it off yet a la Skinny Girl cocktails. After tasting Kens”s remoulade, I was inspired to develop my own recipe. I am quite proud of it because it tastes nearly as good as Ken’s…almost.
Pairing wine with any type of Cajun food is tough. Do you go sweet to tackle the spice? Do you go acidic to counter the richness? Do you go red and freak everyone out? We love a slightly crisp, nearly dry Pinot Gris, particularly the Acrobat. Easy drinking with hints of peach and citrus, and enough body to hold up against any Cajun dish.” – Andi
4 soft shell crabs
3 tablespoons Cajun seasonings
½ cup flour
1 loaf French bread
1 cup arugula and spinach mix
4 to 8 slices of tomatoes
For Remoulade Sauce:
¼ red onion – minced
½ stalk of celery – minced
½ red pepper – minced
3 cloves of garlic – minced
1 cup Dukes mayonnaise
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 to 3 dashes of hot sauce
2 tablespoon green onion sliced
- Make a mix of flour, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
- Dust the crab in the flour mix and shake off any excess.
- Put a pan on medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan.
- Place soft shells gently in the oil.
- Sear for four minutes on one side or until brown.
- Flip the crabs and sear the next side for four minutes.
- Pull the crabs out of the pan and set on a paper towel.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Cut the French bread in thick slices.
- Spread remoulade on both sides of the bread.
- Add the soft shell crab on the bread.
- Add a layer of arugula and spinach mix and sliced tomatoes.
- Top it with the other French bread piece.