Who does not love the ease of a dress in the summer? A lack of waistband and constricting fabric around the thighs, all I need is a stick of Thigh Rescue and a frock is Comfort City, population: me.
I have never been there but it is hotter than hell in Washington DC during the summer. With the exception of a handful of years spent in Philadelphia, this is the first summer I have not spent in the district in thirteen years. But, a walk down memory lane of summers past:
- 2008: Wearing a black BCBG jersey dress to a job interview. Working up such a sweat between the Metro and the office that I had to duck into the next door Barnes and Noble restroom. I had to soak off the pool of moisture from my back with paper towels.
- 2010: Looking for a new apartment in the city. I did not have it in me to sweat it out on the sidewalks. Rather, I settled for a studio on the West End. I continued to live in the pad for six years because I could not bear the thought of having to apartment hunt or worse yet, move in the heat again.
- 2011: The sesquicentennial of the Civil War brought me to several battlefields for work events. After returning to the office from Manassas, I kept my office light off and made an iced peppermint tea. I do not think I left the office that evening until the sun went down.
- 2012: Wearing the jacquard dot J.Crew pencil skirt that Michelle Obama made famous and chafing like hell on my walk home from the office. My legs felt as thought they were in a straight jacket by the end of my commute.
- 2015: My window air conditioning unit in the aforementioned West End studio quit. As it was the weekend, the property manager initially refused to fix it. I am quite knowledgeable about District landlord / tenant law, and consequently knew that the property management company was obligated to fix it as the temperature exceeded 85 degrees. Email sent, unit replaced.
Ralph Lauren is turning out some fantastic summer dresses. Any one of these would be perfect for a sweltering summer, or in my case, summer on the Nur-sultan steppe. These are my favorites: