“Brunch is easily our favorite meal to go out to eat and explore new restaurants in the local dining scene. However, we also like to stay in and make brunch for ourselves. When we do not feel like venturing into public on Sunday, we split the cooking duties and collaborate on a delicious biscuit breakfast sandwich with roasted red bliss potatoes and fresh berries.
We will not judge if your biscuit preference is Bisquik, but we enjoy making them from scratch. New red bliss potatoes are just now making their way onto market shelves along with spring onions. Naturally the two spring ingredients make a perfect flavor match. If spring onions (onions that have yet to form the brown papery skin and still have their green stalks still attached) are not available in your area, scallions can easily be substituted. This recipe will make enough for two to enjoy, with enough biscuits to serve four. Alternatively, they can be frozen in Ziplock bags.
When dealing with eggs or searing fish, having a quality non-stick Teflon pan is essential in any kitchen. As we have stated before, go with one that is stainless steel. Aluminum just cannot keep up with stainless steel, as the former has a tendency of producing hot spots while cooking and have a high likelihood of warping.” – Joe
Ingredients & Directions
For the Biscuits:
- 1 pound flour – sifted
- 0.25 ounce salt
- 1 ounce sugar
- 0.75 ounce baking powder
- 5 ounces butter – room temperature
- 11 ounces buttermilk
- Preheat over at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all the dry ingredients for the biscuits in a bowl and crumble in the room temp butter with your hands until the pieces of butter are approximately the size of peas.
- Mix in the buttermilk until fully incorporated. Add more flour if needed.
- On a table spread out some flour and roll out the dough to ¾ inch.
- Punch out with a ring mold and place on a cookie sheet
- Bake and baste with butter every five minutes for twenty minutes.
For the Fruit:
- 1 package raspberries – washed
- 1 package blueberries – washed
- 1 package strawberries – washed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and allow to sit for one hour before serving.
For the Potatoes:
- 4 medium sized new red bliss potatoes – medium diced
- 1 spring onion – trimmed of any brown leaves, sliced
- 1 medium shallot – very small dice
- 2 clove garlic – minced
- Place a medium sauté pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the potatoes and allow to brown all sides, or for about five minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for another five minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest.