“The inspiration for this recipe an unexpected source. I saw Chef making a special course of beef tartar for a guest that was celebrating a birthday. Lucky for Joe and I, he happened to have to leftover tartar patties. Joe grilled them off and we ate them for staff meal. They were perfectly seasoned and moist enough that you didn’t need to put anything on them. That is when I had a lightbulb momement.
I wanted to make perfect chicken burgers with all the things I love to put of a hamburger (pickles, ketchup, mustard, onions). As I expected, they turned out great, albeit larger. Learn from my mistake and make smaller patties.
A few notes from our kitchen:
- I originally made two massive chicken burgers; however, they were just too big. I do believe it would be way better if you form the mixture into four burger patties.
- The chicken should hit an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Always test any chicken you are cooking with a meat thermometer. We don’t need anyone getting salmonella!
- For the burger garnish, I went with the tried and true guacamole recipe (as written about here). Add some crispy thick cut bacon and spicy arugula and spinach mix to round out an awesome tasting burger.
A proper glass of wine goes great with any meal. The right style of glass will make the wine! Joe bought us a set of Luigi Bormioli’s Atelier Collection Wine Glasses and they go great with any varietal. The glass was designed specifically for Merlot; however if you are willing to bend the rules a bit you can pour any varietal and still get all of the characteristics that your favorite wine has to offer with a stylish and modern angular look.” – Andi
For the burger patty:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon minced dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- I/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 splashes of Worstershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (I like the Webster’s ‘Kicking Chicken’ seasoning)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumb
- Preheat the oven to 350* Fahrenheit.
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Form burger patties using approximately one cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Put a large sauté pan on the stove on medium high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Place the patties carefully into the hot oil and sear the patties until brown on one side, about six minutes.
- Carefully flip the patties. Sear the patties on the other side for three minutes.
- Place the pan in the oven to cook the patties all the way through or about ten minutes.
- Once the chicken hits 160 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it from the oven.
For the garnish:
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- 2 cups spinach and arugula mix
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Cook the bacon to the desired crispiness.
- Spread two tablespoons of guacamole on the bottom bun.
- On the bottom guacamole-clad bun, layer the chicken burger patty, two strips of bacon, one cup of the spinach and arugula mix, and the top bun. Repeat for the second burger.